When we bought this house there was all of this weird, convoluted, and decidedly dangerous tubing that was used to vent the dryer through one of the turbines in the roof. Not one single piece of this system was anything less than a code violation. I am pretty sure the previous owner did all of his home improvement projects while drunk. (I have ample evidence.) Even though I was worried about this dryer venting situation from day one, I was in no place to do anything about it. When we moved here we still had two children in diapers and one was still a nursing baby. I didn't even get all of the boxes unpacked for at least six months.
|This was the terrible, code-defying scene in the attic|
|New, rigid dryer duct in the utility room|
|New dryer duct passes through the ceiling via a quick-connect|
I'm thrilled with the results and I can hear the dryer running as I type these words. In addition to eliminating a fire hazard I also made my dryer much more efficient. I can now dry a large load of clothes in 50 minutes instead of 70. That means I'm using almost 30% less energy to dry our clothes. I still prefer to dry most of our clothes outside on the clothesline but on rainy days like today I really appreciate the dryer.
Like almost all home repair projects, this project spawned at least three others, which is why I have been insanely busy these last two weeks. In order to install the new vent I had to tear out the old cabinets above the dryer. These cabinets served as our pantry and kitchen storage area, so they are crucial to the proper functioning of our kitchen. It took me two hours with a hammer and a cat's paw tool to pry the ancient cabinet off the wall. There was a lot of sweating and swearing involved and I bruised and scraped every finger on my left hand. But I emerged victorious.
|The ugly, offending cabinet|
Tearing out the old cabinet led to a need for new shelving. I scoured my lumber collection for some good shelving boards. I came up with a total of twelve good shelves, including three which had been used as walkway across the joists in the attic. They all got a good priming and double painting and I scared up some brackets from a box in the carport. I didn't have to buy a single thing for the shelving.
Then Mr. Chanclas asked me why I was leaving a gaping hole in the other wall when I was making the rest of the room look so nice. Good question. So I decided to fix the other gaping hole, which involved removing two four-plex electrical boxes (installed while drunk, most definitely) and replacing them with a single duplex outlet. This, of course, involved more drywall repair.
|My (still unfinished) drywall repair of the gaping electrical disaster that was installed here by previous owner|